Welcome to the Industry Summit’s weekly assessment of “Things We Like’’ – our way to celebrate innovation & progress in the trading card and collectible industry.
THINGS WE LIKE: NOV 16 2012
1. The emergence of Black Friday as a hobby sales phenomenon. Hundreds of retailers are aggressively promoting their Black Friday events through social media and email (check out @SEsportscards for an example), while leading online players such as DACardWorld and Blowout Cards are leveraging sales via “pre-Black Friday’’ offers. Huge props to @Panini America for elevating Black Friday’s promise throughout our industry.
2. Upper Deck’s promotion of Mike Phillips to VP/sales. The point person for UD’s distribution realignment, Phillips deserves credit for vision & willingness to innovate.
3. Utilizing current events – and social media – to drive store traffic. Mike Fruitman at Mike’s Stadium Sports (CO), via an e-mail newsletter promo, gave his customers $5 off on any $70+ wax box when they displayed an “I VOTED’’ sticker at his store on Election Day. Great way to transition a trip to the voting booth into trading-card sales.
4. GTS Distribution’s recent announcements of customer-exclusive offers from Leaf and Upper Deck. Focusing the sales effort toward added value is a winner for all involved.
5. OCSportscards’ continuing progress as a source for in-person autograph events. Lance & the team have definitely identified a “golden ticket’’ to leverage their brand in the competitive SoCal market. (Wonka reference will make more sense later today).
Your nominations for “Things We Like” are welcome & encouraged – let us know at @industry_summit or via email @email@example.com